Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Some Good Things

So, it's not all bad. There is good coming out of this experience. If things happen for a reason, here are some of those reasons.

By the end of Friday, all three of Dayton's children had checked in. Shawn came to the clinic, Mike called soon afterwards, and Date called later that evening. They've been estranged from their Dad for a couple months over the family business. My diagnosis has helped them reach out beyond the egos and the frustration to reaffirm their love for each other. I can only hope it continues.

And besides, how many woman can say that even their husband's ex-wife is praying for them??? Truly I am blessed.

My friends have been wonderful. Two of my east coast girlfriends offered to jump on a plane and come stay with me. One girlfriend is doing raiki long distance for me. Another has asked if I'm open to her doing something through the "collective unconscious." Hey, I'm open to anything that will get me through this experience! I've heard from women who have had the hysterectomy, and said it was just fine. I've heard from women who have had this cancer, and are doing just fine now. I've heard from so many wonderful, caring, kind people. Storytellers have sent me stories, and jokes, and poems, and love.

One friend, also a cancer survivor, gave me the website and toll-free number of the American Cancer Society. One friend suggested journaling - hence this blog. Another friend said, "isn't smoking pot good for cancer pain? I'm sure my son could get some for you!"

Lots of emails and phone calls. The funniest email so far came from Jim in Ohio:
"I got an email about your trouble.
I went to St. Patricks'Catholic Church to light a candle for you.
A loud voice from above said" What are you doing back?"
I said I was lighting a candle for Leanne Johnson.
The voice answered "Oh, in that case come on in.
But don't stay too long. "
Whether God is sure of me or not.
He's heard of you. He likes you."

We've told our family, our friends, and our neighbors. I guess Dayton has spent some time now talking with Ed across the street. Ed told me that Dayton told him that he didn't realize how much he loved me until this happened. So maybe that's another blessing, that we've been reawakened to realize just how much we all mean to each other.

There is a reason for everything. I have to believe this.

No comments: