Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Happy Anniversary!

Tuesday, August 7th: It's our wedding anniversary. Eight years. We both forgot until I looked at the calendar. "Happy anniversary," I say, throwing my arms around Dayton. "I didn't get you anything." He laughs ruefully, "Happy Anniversary, Honey. I didn't get you anything, either!"

It's a good day. I don't have any cramping. I'm coughing a lot - seems like I've been doing that a lot since the CT. I work in my office, catching up on stuff, and throw in loads of laundry periodically. Dayton comes into my office at one point, "How about dinner and a movie?"

It's so normal!

We leave Geronimo to guard the house in the afternoon, and catch a matinee of "Hairspray." I love the singing and dancing, Dayton thinks it's stupid. We go to Steak and Shake for supper, and I have another chocolate milkshake. Doctor's orders, you know.

As we're driving home, we talk about the upcoming hospitalization and recovery period. "Tell people not to send me plants. I don't want a plant that every time I have to water it I remember I got it because I have cancer. Don't get me silk flowers (Dayton loves silk flowers). I don't want anything sitting around that reminds me that I only got it because I have cancer. Give me flowers, cheap grocery store flowers, that bloom for a few days so I can enjoy the color and the scent, and then I can throw them out and get on with the next step. Give me stories, and jokes, and bring me funny movies to watch."

I also tell him that I want my mom to come stay with us after my surgery. "But I'll take care of you," he says. Yes, I know he will try, but I want my mom there to do the fine-tuning, to anticipate what I need, to cook - oh, heavens, please let her be there to fix meals that I can eat! I don't push the issue. But I've nursed him through three surgeries now, and he has no idea how demanding it is for the caregiver. And he is trying to run two businesses. I don't think he can do it all, and keep me comfortable. And I want to be comfortable, so that I can recover quickly.

At home, we go to bed early, and cuddle the pup between us. It's been a good day. No real pain, and I've finally stopped bleeding from the biopsy - it was 2 weeks ago today.

And for the first night in I don't remember how many, I pass the entire night without pain. I don't sleep well, I'm awake every hour, but I'm not in pain. I can live with this.

No comments: