Friday, August 10, 2007

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Thursday, August 9: The calvary showed up today. Donna, Linda and Sue. They arrived about 10:30, and they brought love and hugs and chocolate and jokes and laughter and good will. They kept me laughing all day. Okay, I was a little teary-eyed when they first pulled into the driveway and the hugging began, but then I laughed the rest of the time. We got lunch from 3 Sisters Cafe, and came back to my condo to laugh some more. What do people do without girlfriends????

We turned the air conditioning off so Linda wasn't cold, and we set up a fan so Donna wasn't too hot. I'll do anything for my friends! Sue asked me a couple times if I was tired, and I lied - I said no. I was a little tired by afternoon, but I was propped up in Dayton's recliner, Geronimo snoring by my side, with my girlfriends around me. I was so comfortable, and felt so secure. I didn't want anything to cut our visit short.

They finally left about 4:30. I hated to see them go. I want them to bring their sleeping bags and move in with me and we can laugh every day through this whole thing. I want my mom to come stay, and my sister and my nieces and nephews and cousins and Dayton's children and grandchildren and all my friends and family. It's not realistic, but I can dream.

They girls were taken aback by how I was shuffling in the morning, slightly bent over, my regular little-old-lady walk. But after a couple hours of laughing, when I got up to fetch something from the kitches, I was able to walk straight with NO PAIN!

No pain the entire visit. Wow. What a gift. What wonderful, wonderful friends.

After they left, I brought in the mail. In an ironic little twist, the results of my pap test were in this batch. I now have written proof that at least one small portion of my anatomy is normal!

No comments: